Sunday 15 October 2017

Chipmunks, Elks and Bears, Oh My


Warning, this post does not contain any actual sewing or anything sewing related. I just wanted to show off some photos from my Canada holiday.  
 

I have to say I became a bit obsessed with chipmunks on my travels. I had never seen any before and they are cute little critters.  This photos is of one in Lake Louise.  He thought some people had food for him so you can see he's got his cute begging pose down pat.


Our first major wildlife encounter was with female elk in Jasper.  This lovely lady above was about to try and cross the busy road.  We found some more driving around the back roads. As you can see they did a very good job of featuring their rear ends for the photos. Thanks girls.  Unbelievably we never saw any male elk on our travels. 


 
 
Also in Jasper we came across a group of male long horn sheep.  We actually got very close to these hansom beasties.  And they were very chill.  If you are ever in Jasper, try to do your tour with Jasper Tour CompanyJoe, who runs the tours is just fantastic.  Very enthusiastic and passionate about the wildlife of Jasper.  We also saw a mumma bear and cubs on this evening tour. Alas we couldn't get any close up photos.


And finally, meet Boo the Bear.  Our last wildlife experience was in Banff. We had a long day tour which included a trip to Kicking Horse Mountain.  There we got to meet Boo a rescue bear.  He has an amazing large area to roam around in and it's only luck really if he decides to make an appearance.  It was a super hot day and we had spotted Boo relaxing in a pond from high up in a gondola which takes you up the mountain.  Now while we were listening to the rangers talk about Boo's story I was feeling very overwhelmed by the heat.  We had already heard about Boo from our travel guide for the day, Aaron, so I asked if there was somewhere I could sit down for awhile while we  were awaiting (hopefully) the arrival of Boo.  I was pointed to nice little shaded platform near the entrance.  Ah the shade, and somewhere to sit.  Aaron said I might be lucky and Boo might come up at that end.  I was joined by a couple of other people and then suddenly out of the forest came a big ol grizzly.  Don't be alarmed, there was a fence, but lucky for me the platform made us higher than the fence so I think I probably got the best photos of the day.  Yay!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment