Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Quicky retro top

Sometimes you just want to make something fast and easy.  And if all goes to plan it's a very satisfying thing to complete an item in one day or even afternoon.  I am lacking in longer sleeve tops because I don't always see the point when we have such a short period of cool weather here in Brisbane.  This top was a happy compromise in lightweight gingham and a 3/4 length sleeve.  

I made some changes to a 70's peasant style blouse pattern.  The neckline and bodice are basically the same but instead of the long sleeve with ruffle in the pattern I simply cut a shorter length which left the top with a wider bell sleeve look. 

Once again I find myself saying that I should have added a few extra inches to the length of my garment. Looking at the pattern pictures this top is meant to be tucked into a skirt so it's not all that wide or long, so the shape does look a bit boxy.  I would definitely add length and more width to this next time. I also added some ric-rac to the front for a bit of contrast.  

Overall a very satisfying little make in one afternoon. A versatile base to make a few variations on the pattern. 

Saturday, 13 August 2016

Alder Shirt Dress by Grainline Studios

I'm almost annoyed that this dress sorta kinda of looks good.  I almost gave up on it and wasn't even going to bother putting on the buttons. I seem to have the worst luck with these independent patterns companies and their sizing.  I do my measurements against whatever the pattern says, then during the construction process I try it on and it is generally 2 or 3 sizes too big.  This was such a drama with this dress particularly regarding it having a collar. Everything just looked like it was swamping me when I first tried it on.  And the neck band didn't quite work out as it should have.  I don't think I had any trouble making it up as the instructions were clear. In the end I added some darts to the front to take it in. Fortunately the pattern and colour of the material hides them.

I even got so far as doing buttons holes, then gave up on this dress. It sat there for months and months on my dressmaker dummy.  Putting the buttons on was a bit of a horror show.  I laid the dress out flat on the floor and marked where I wanted the buttons to go trying to cross over the front sections enough to make the neckline look reasonable.  I had to move buttons a few times. Fortunately I was on holidays when I did this so I didn't feel as annoyed about wasting all this time on a simple task. 

I am happy with how this dress looks on and I wouldn't mind trying to make another at some stage.  I just feel a certain amount of bitterness towards the pattern which I may never quite recover from.  At least it's a super comfy dress best to be worn in the cooler months with tights and maybe a cardi. 

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Style 1838

I bought this 1970's pattern late last year on ebay.  Even though I have already had some peasant top patterns I quite liked the dress with the long sleeves in this.  Unfortunately upon opening the packet I discovered that the back section of the top and dress was missing.  Looking at the pattern and the elastic neckline I figured I could just use the one piece for front and back.  I've discovered with some PDF patterns that some front and back sections of dresses and tops are pretty much identical. And definitely when you have to construct each piece of the pattern from the A4 print out, I try to find a shortcut. 

I went on a rayon buying spree recently at Spotlight. I do love that fabric. So light and floaty and not too crushy mccrush.  Shame I won't get a lot of wear out of this top with our short winters. Ah well it's a style I'll wear for years to come.