This is one of the patterns I got from a bulk lot of patterns from a friend's mum's collection. I don't know the story behind the "Woman" patterns. I'm not sure if they were associated with any particular pattern house. I liked the look of this basic 50's style frock which I thought would be perfect with my little houses fabric. This was a super easy dress to make. I did learn a new thing, the shoulder pleat. Which you insert at the front. Not sure what the idea is behind this. I think it's another one of those things that works for women of a larger bust size. As for me it leaves quite a lot of room in that department.
Just loved this material when I saw it in the soft furnishing section of Spotlight. It's a nice stiff cotton and will hopefully wear well. I bought this along with my olive fabric I used for my Alice dress. I thought this would be an easy pattern matching exercise given that the house pattern seems to run in lines. I was pretty careful to match things but somehow the skirt in particular didn't match up with the side seams and the pattern. No biggy I guess but I did try. I also had been watching some tutorials for lap zips as I thought I'd give one a go. I did think the size was running to a large but once I did darts and ran up one side seam it was pretty much just enough room for a regular zip. Perhaps next time I'll venture out of my zip comfort zone.
The pattern didn't have any facing pieces. The instructions said to create your own. I made some bias for the neckline, but when It came to the sleeves I decided to draft facing pieces from the bodice pattern. The sleeve line had a bit of shaping to it and when I tried to add some bias it looked a bit poo. I also did a hand stitched hem. I'm quite happy doing my hand sewing while I'm sitting around watching some telly.
I think all in all this dress was probably only $12 all up. The material was only $5 a metre and the pattern probably worked out to $2. So overall pretty awesome on the price front.