Wednesday 14 October 2015

Sway Dress

Like most people, I saw this on the Ginger Makes blog and decided it would be a perfect summer frock.  I was also so glad to not be printing out yet another PDF pattern. And what lovely packaging Papercut do with their patterns.  Absolutely easy little dress to make up.  As per usual I added an extra few inches to the "long" version of the dress but it still ended up pretty short for me.  I would have preferred a bit of below the knee action.  I bought a lightweight denim fabric from Lincraft last Friday and started making it on the Saturday.  It was also good having a wide fabric as you didn't have to cut out the 2 front and 2 back pieces separately. 


The instructions were quite good, though I have to say I failed to comprehend the instruction regarding applying the facing. You were to join your back and front sections together at the shoulder, attach the facing section at the neck, and then this technique I've never heard of to join up the armhole seams. Anyways I couldn't get my head around it, and the day before I watched Inherent Vice which also confused me lots. It's a good movie, but I really was waiting almost 3 hours for it all to make sense and didn't.  But I digress. 


So as far as the facing went I simply added the facing sections separately to both front and back before I did the shoulder seams. Leaving 1cm open at the top, sewed the outer shoulder seems of the dress keeping the facing free and then just fold under the facing on the inside and hand stitched the front facing sections to the back facing sections. And this explanation probably makes no sense to some sewers. I've done this before with other dresses, more recently vintage patterns.  I'm sure Papercut's instructions would make sense if I actually saw this technique done. 
Unfortunately my belt ended up too short also. Again, I should always add a bit extra when I'm not sure. It didn't look like a lot of material when I was cutting it out. Oh to listen to those inner voices. 
Mmmm, the comfy post-lunch version

All in all a great and fast dress to make up. Would definitely recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment