Wednesday 28 June 2017

Lulu Dress

Yay, this frock makes me feels like it's 1994 again. Double J have been playing all 90's music over the last few weekends and that takes me to my happy place.  However, when I made this frock I was listening to Audioslave and the Singles soundtrack and mourning the loss of the supremely talented and Chris Cornell.  


So to the Lulu dress.  I was sitting at my computer at my ever exciting office job when I received an email from Sew Over It announcing the Lulu pattern.  I think they mentioned a "great summer dress".  However, when I see 3/4 length sleeves as in the promo photo I think "Brisbane winter".  I think I bought this flannel material before I actually downloaded the pattern. Very happy I chose this for a winter dress that I can wear with tights and a cardie or jacket if need be.  


I'm pretty sure this is my first Sew Over It pattern.  Even though putting together PDF's is a bore, I sometimes manage to put it together on a friday afternoon if it's a little slow around the old office.  The pattern was easy to assemble and instructions very easy to follow.  The sleeves come in 2 pieces. I've only had that experience once before with a 60's dress. I'm not sure why that technique is used, I suspect maybe for the shape at the shoulder.  



The only thing that wasn't clear in the instructions was when you attached the neck binding. It only mentioned to do gather stitches on the front section, however, the neck binding wasn't long enough, by quite a lot.  So it was either, cut another piece of binding or put some more gather stitches somewhere around the neckline.  I decided to put gather stitches in the sleeve sections as well and that seemed to work, the binding fitted.



So hooray for Lulu.  It is a nice easy and basic pattern that you could do with a fair variety of fabrics and unlike a lot of the "independent" pattern companies the measurements were bang on.  And of course the big bonus, not zips or buttonholes!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment