Monday 15 January 2018

Vintage McCalls 5198


It's that time of year again when my mission statement in sewing projects is to make as many cool summer frocks as possible.  The weather in Brisbop has been quite hideous since before Christmas and motivation to sew on a hot day is always a struggle. 


I found this lovely little sewing pattern on ebay.  It fit all the criteria, easy to make, floaty and doesn't look like anything you can buy in a shop.  I managed to get this finished before the heat settled in for our always very long hot summer. 

  
I really like the square neckline you find in a lot of 70's dress patterns. But sometimes the facing doesn't end up matching the outer neck line. And add pleats to the recipe, you could end up having to make constant adjustments.  Fortunately it wasn't the case here, it all matched up perfectly.  The side ties are attached in the fold of the outer pleats.  I guess for a fuller looking dress you could just leave the ties off the dress.  


The front pleats are a littel lost on this fabric.  I originally thought of using a fabric with a dragon print for this. I bought both pieces of fabric at the same little Japanese gift and textile shop in West End. It has a linen blend quality, but I think it is just cotton. Whatever the fudge it is, it is nice and cool to wear.  


This was an easy dress to make. Always a joy to make something without zips and buttons. I'll definitely give the pattern another go. Maybe even making the top.  




No comments:

Post a Comment