Sunday 19 April 2015

McCalls 6560

Sooo, a maxi dress to add to my collection.  I do love a maxi but I think because it became so popular in recent years I was put off by seeing a lot of them about town.  I liked this particular pattern because of the varying length options. I was originally going to make up the shorter version for a nice summer top. 

I previously bought this green drill cotton, which I used  to make a Simplicity frock that turned out to be a major fail.  I really really liked the colour and the fine white polka dots in this material so I bought another few metres for this dress.  A pretty easy frock to make. I don't recall having any real issues constructing it. Having said that the fit is a little poohouse.  Maybe it's that the fabric is a little stiff. The back area grabs around the bottom, while the front is nice an loose with the empire line and some gathers.  There are also some issues with the straps on the front bodice. I think with crossover straps it's hard to position them so they sit nice and flat across the shoulders.  You can see it raises up a bit on the inside.


My other major issue was that the fabric is super hard to iron.  I did leave the dress on my spare bed for about a week and a 7kg grey feline might have slept on it, and some lovely creases formed down the front. I have now tried to iron this dress about 3 times and it still comes up looking like I've slept in it. Terribly frustrating. I think I will just have to admit defeat and say that this fabric is cursed. 

 

I was so happy with the lovely buttons I found for the back. Just a shame the overall dress doesn't work. I will possibly wear it. Maybe when I'm just heading to someone's house for a visit.




2 comments:

  1. Maybe move the buttons closer to the centre? Looks good, pity it isn't that comfortable. Wear it this year, then use the extra fabric for a toile, or top next? Regards Trish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may just fiddle about with it and see if it looks any better but I really am determined to have this fabric work with something. Might try some extreme steaming to get the darned creases out of it for a start.

    ReplyDelete