Monday 4 May 2015

Vintage Butterick

A few years back I had a friend's wedding to attend in the hinterland region north of Brisbane. I decided to make up my frock from one of the patterns in a bulk purchase I got on ebay.  This lovely Butterick pattern, like all the others in the collection, was a size 16.  I haven't done too badly with these patterns adjusting them down to a wearable size 12.  They are always a little roomy but I think they are fitted enough.  Plus a size 16 back in the day was probably more equivalent to a 14. 

I found this beautiful cotton sateen in a Lincraft sale. It seemed to be a  more unique floral pattern than the ones that were around at the time.  I really love the colour and the beautiful pattern.  The sleeves are a little bit boxy but I'm not too worried about the look. All in all a perfect style frock for a garden wedding in October, even if it turn out to be a bit of warm old day.  
 
 

 
Unintentionally it looks like I've done some reasonable pattern matching. This is term I've recently picked up from watching the back catalogue of the Great British Sewing Bee.  As per usual I simply inserted a regular zip.  Obviously a nice frock like this would benefit from an invisible zip but I think it looks fine. 

I've also been working a lot of with different style collars in recent years. This one is certainly very dramatic size wise. It almost doesn't look like it's part of the garment but an add on, like a mini shrug. 

I also made up some drop style, vintage inspired pearl and gold earrings which I think worked a treat.  I have discovered in the last few years that I quite like wearing long style earrings when my bob is its shortest and they hang down below the hair line. I think I got inspired by the look after watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  I also finally got my friend Michael to give me the perfect bob after that show first came out and I said I wanted a Phryne Fisher.



No comments:

Post a Comment