Wednesday 15 July 2015

Vintage shift dress strikes again

I think I've made myself a challenge to find the perfect style of shift dress. I've thus far tried quite a few different vintage patterns, most with success I'm pleased to say.  This latest one is slightly different.  The first thing I noticed was that the neckline didn't look it was going to be suffocating me like a lot of the 60's patterns seem to do.  Surely neck sizes weren't that different back in the 1960's.  


The main difference with this dress was the sleeves which were in 2 pieces so you actually have seams running under the arm as well as the upper arm.  And see nice wide neckline for a change. 


It's only in recent years, from using vintage patterns, that I discovered the brilliant instruction of inserting the zip in the back first before attaching the front and back sections together.  I think this technique would work in most straight style dresses, but mostly works well with shifts because they only have one back section, not a bodice and skirt section. Anyways I love how quick and easy it is. Though still haven't tried an invisible zip. One day, one day.


I bought this psychedelic cotton sateen from Spotlight with a shift dress in mind.  I even managed to find some lovely lavender tights on line to match the whole ensemble.  But very annoyance I can't for the life of me find a nice lavender coloured lipstick.  In fact most colours from the family purple are hard to find. 


All in all very enjoyable and easy to make.  The neckline doesn't sit as flat as I would like but it doesn't bother me too much.  Just loving winter and getting to wearing tights.

2 comments:

  1. This style suits you. You must be quite tall. I particularly like the way the two piece sleeves sit. Looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. I was super happy with the result. And you are correct I am tall 5ft 9".

    ReplyDelete