Tuesday 24 February 2015

More hits from the vault of vintage patterns

This pattern is another one of the lovely patterns I just adore from the 70's, this one having a 1940's inspiration in the bodice.  Granted my material choice is not a good match era wise being a bit more modern art circa 1980's.  Because of the circle skirt in this pattern, it required quite a lot of material and I had over 3.5m of this cotton sateen lurking about, unloved, in one of my various storage facilities around the spare bedroom. The heavier fabric is good for the structure of the bodice. And it is a very smart dress for wearing to work.




I haven't used a lot of circle skirt patterns in recent years but they definitely seem to be making a comeback in more current patterns.  The only issue is the amount of material you need. I also didn't let the dress sit for a  couple of days before hemming.  This is something you should do with a circle skirt as the material, for some reason, can tend to drop in some places so the skirt can look uneven. I didn't do this, which is a surprise because I am quite prone to leaving things hanging on bedroom doors for days or weeks on end before I get around the finishing touches.  Anyways the skirt has dropped a little at the back but I'm pretty confident you can't see it when I'm wearing it. Well that's what I'm telling myself anyways.  A pretty straightforward pattern to make up.  Would definitely like to make this dress again maybe in a sleeveless version.


Oh how I love the square neck line.  The only issue with the bodice for me is the usual issue of a little bit too full in the bust department.  Hard to gauge this when you are making up a pattern I guess all I can do for future is to make the centre piece a less wide.


So many nice variations of this pattern. Would like to get around to trying a sleeveless version or the little ruffle sleeve looks cute too. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous Yol! I am so jealous of your wardrobe! Xx

    ReplyDelete