Wednesday 18 March 2015

70's smock

It's "still" that time of the year when I'm looking for cool floaty type items to add to my summer (or allegedly autumn) wardrobe.  This is a great little pattern with its various versions of the smock.  I would like to be brave and attempt to make up some of the flared pants, but pants can be quite a headache to make. 

I had this taupe coloured fabric lying around unloved and thought it might work for this top.  A bit of a boring colour for some people. I really should have added a feature colour for the yolk to jazz it up.  I really wish I had appropriate 70's style fabric to go with this pattern but I didn't.  This was an easy enough pattern to do. However, I made an error with material allowance and the sleeves were supposed to be two pieces joined together like you do with some capped sleeves. I didn't have enough fabric so simply turned over a seam allowance. I don't think it's obvious. This pattern was size 10 and I am and have been a size 12 since I was about 18.  For some reason this is a really large size pattern. I had to take the side seems in about 2 inches on both sides. It was ridiculously large.  That is pretty weird for a retro patterns, if anything they are usually too small, especially around the armhole and neck.



Anyways this will be a nice top to wear with jeans or a long black skirt. If I find some nice retro fabric I'd like to try the dress version.




The necklace is a me made wooden beaded necklace. I get a lot of wear out of this. 












1 comment: