Thursday 26 March 2015

Simplicity Shift

This was a recent 60's pattern purchase from one of my many chums at ebay.  I probably have too many shift style dresses in my collection of retro/vintage patterns.  Should probably catalogue them one day. It is interesting how many variations there are on this basic dress.  I thought this particular one had a nice summer dress feel. If only you could find a colour match for the dresses as shown on the pattern cover.  The material I chose was a cotton drill from Spotlight. I bought the fabric yonks ago and it was waiting for the right dress pattern. I even contemplated making a skirt with it at one point. 


 


Quite straightforward to make. However, I wasn't aware when I bought the pattern that it had buttons attaching the shoulder strap. I hadn't actually made loops for the buttons so simply sewed the buttons on catching in both front and back sections of the straps,  and did some slip stitching underneath the straps to reinforce and keep the pieces together. 


I have never ventured to try and make up the teenie tiny tubing for button loops. I'm not even sure how this is possible to do.  I guess you can use a yarn/ribbon of some description in a close enough match to your fabric to create the loops, but the pattern actually says to make the loops.  


I should have tried to do a better job matching the pattern of the material for the yolk section to the main bodice.  Ah well, live and learn.  I'm not sure I'll be wearing this dress a whole lot. It is a pretty snug fit under the arms alas. Then again it could be a sign that I need to try and tone up my arms and get rid of some of that excess flesh that seems to develop in your under and upper arms as you age.  Might make a harness with a handle for PJ and practice lifting her 7kg every day. It appears drinking red wine is not a fat burner. Drat drat and double drat.






2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have always found that a problem with red wine, not enough calorie burning quotient. Love the dress. Loops are easy. Just take a rectangle of material, fold sides to middle. Fold again and stitch. Voila! You can make quite narrow ones this way, and don't have to pull little Tubular bits through. It's a lovely dress and if you do this it will widen the arms a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hint, though this particular fabric is a bit stiff so it probably wouldn't work very well for loops. Could probably match some bias binding though with the blue colour and that would work. Will definitely give it a try for a lighter weight fabric.

    ReplyDelete