Thursday 3 September 2015

Megan Dress - Love at First Stitch

I've been meaning to start making something from this book for yonks and decided to start on the Megan dress.  Finally I got to pull out my tracing paper. I bought that ages ago to start working on one of the Japanese sewing books, but still haven't braved any of the 4 books I currently own.  So I spread out my pattern and get the pattern paper ready to start tracing.  And whatdoyaknow the crinkly sound attracts my caticus domesticus onto my dining/sewing table. 


So tracing started off ok after removing unwanted feline from the paper.  I checked my sizing against the sizing in the book. Not trusting things after the Emery debacle I decided to compare the bodice piece with one of my trusted patterns.  Again, sizing took a trip to Wrongtown.  Gets me frustrated when other bloggers don't appear to have this issue. So after already cutting out some of the pieces I had to size down.  It is a very easy pattern to make. Just a little on the short size for my height, but that's ok it can be a winter frock for wearing with tights.  The only problem with the finished product is that the neckline sticks up on one side and the sleeves are too wide.  Overall it got some nice comments from the work folks.
   





The material is a lovely waffle textured cotton from Lincraft, bought in one of their regular 50% off sales.  The pattern may be a bit busy for the style. I think it loses some of the detail.  It reminded me a bit of the old test pattern that used to come up when a tv station was finished broadcasting for the night.  Pretty sure the kids out there don't know what I'm talking about. I don't think tv stations close down at night now not like that did back in ye olden times.


I would try making this pattern again, hopefully I made note of the sizing issues for next time. I will be interested to try something else from Love at First Stitch. Will just have to make sure I measure things out before I start tracing away.


1 comment:

  1. Got to say, I agree with the workmates. It really suits you. Without tights you might be right to add to the length, but with is perfect. Just wish I could wear it, but as an old fuddy duddy it's a bit on the short and fitted side for me. �� TS

    ReplyDelete