Saturday 20 February 2016

Japanese sewing books

Finally, I've made something from one of my many Japanese sewing books. It only took about 3 years since my friend Anna bought me my first book. This pattern is from the Happy Handmade Vol 3.  I was after something nice and easy to start off with given the exercise of tracing out all the pieces. Also this book wasn't in English so I was winging it re: the instructions. Being an experienced sewer and having pictures to go by helps. I decided on the F1 loose fitting tunic dress.  I even kept with the theme of black and white using a Rayon blend from Spotlight. 


I traced out both upper bodice pieces and the facing for the neck edge.  For some reason there was a back and front section for the lower part of the dress. I measured the second piece and it turned out to have the exact same measurements at the first piece, which I kind of suspected.  So I just used the one pattern piece for front and back. It is quite confusing tracing out individual pieces because of all the overlaps. I've only traced out pattern pieces once before and found it a bit tiresome.

Once the pieces were cut out it all comes together really quickly. This is one of those dresses that takes only a few hours.  There is no facing for the sleeves, you just turn the hems under.  There was no picture instructions telling me to do this but I kind of figured that was the plan.  The neck facing pieces were less bulky than most you'll be used to. I also used some doublesided hemming tape to hold both back and front facing sections down so they wouldn't pop out when I put the dress on.


I even did my own version of the feature at the front. I had some white rickerack in my sewing box so used that. I didn't have enough for 6 lines but 5 looks quite ok.


I'll be adding this little pattern to my quick satisfying patterns to make. Such a joy to do something in one afternoon and it's a style that would do well in cooler months too with tights and boots. 


I made this to a medium size as I didn't want it to be swamping me, but it could almost run a bit bigger at the top. So lovely and comfy. Perfect for a summers day with sandals. 

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is so nice to wear. The material is so soft and it's just so darned comfy.

      Delete