Friday 12 February 2016

Vogue 8789

This dress has literally been hanging around, behind my bedroom door for months and months.  The only reason I hadn’t worn it was because I thought I needed to make the cummerbund belt. When I first tried it on I used a black belt I had and it didn’t look right at all, then I found some navy material which I thought I could use to make the belt. After trying on the dress again I was quite happy with the way it looks sans belt.  However, I will still try to make the belt at some point. 


This dress is a surprising easy make. I felt sure that the V neckline was going to be a hassle. And the instructions at first glance look a bit confusing. However, once you get to making up the bodice the technique for attaching the facing to the front just works.  I was very impressed. I don’t know how many times I’ve failed with confusing instructions and techniques and had to unpick and try several times to get something to sit right. 
 

The material was from Spotlight and it is a lovely rayon blend. So it is cool and the fabric sits well in the dress.  The neckline  and shaping of the bodice are quite flattering as well.  Would definitely like to the use the bodice again maybe for a shorter summer dress.  Would be great to work with a stripe fabric to get that arrow effect at the front.     
 

I also decided to use a technique, that I'd seen on youtube, for inserting the zip whereby you use masking tape to hold the zip in place instead of pins. Then you can sew the zip on the outside.  This was a disaster as the needle got all gummed up with the tackiness of the tape. I think it stayed in place for the sewing but I had to replace my needle because it was all nice and sticky.  Well it was worth a try. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks lovely. Very twirly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was more material like this for sale. I'd make most of my work clothes with it.

      Delete