Tuesday 20 March 2018

DIY Full Slip - A fast and easy make

I think I may have done something quite clever.  I have been thinking about full slips and considering making one myself, a cotton one.  So many of those synthetic ones tend to ride up to around your waist as soon as you walk about 5 steps.  Also cotton is so much cooler for the summer months.  Not wanting to fuss with straps and having to work on anything too delicate I came up with this quite good idea. 


Firstly I thought about buying a bralet top. They are the kind of things I wear instead of bras anyway.  I couldn't find one that was strappy enough and I also didn't want to spend too much money. Anway, I was in Best & Less when I saw these lovely singlet tops with the lace overlay.   And it was only $8.  


So I took my singlet top and cut it off about an inch below where the lace finished.  I then cut out some black voile. I used the pattern pieces for the Southport dress pattern for the skirt. It seems to be quite the right shape.  



I first gathered the skirt slightly at the top.  Then I attached it to the the bodice.  And I am ever so happy with the result.  I will be making another slip in a neutral tone and am thinking about doing a nightie as well.  


On a side note while I've been getting my craft on recently, I made this little scotty dog pincushion. Easy little project for when you are sitting watching the telly on a hot day. I printed out a template from the compooter and then just used some felt for the fabric. The filling is actually some cotton wool and steel wool.  I read that steel wool was good for sharpening your pins.  I've got a couple of other ideas in mind for a second one, but quite happy with this little fella for now.  




No comments:

Post a Comment