Sunday 4 March 2018

Ironing board cover

I've come across a couple of tutorials recently about making ironing board covers.  I've been in a mood to get stuck into some different sewing projects and today seemed a perfect time for a quick and easy project. 


I stopped in at Spotlight yesterday afternoon and bought this lovely cotton material for only $5 metre.  And the felt underlay was on sale for $7.  For some reason I'd left the original cover on the ironing board so I used that as a template to cut out my new cover.  I allowed a few extra centimetres either side, however, I should have added more width as the finsihed product is a smidge snug. 


Rather than using a bias binding to make a casing for the cord, I cut off this mesh which was used as the casing from my old K-mart cover. 
 

I also re-used the cord that was with my old cover. It was  a simple job threading it through the casing. Hard to see him in the background, but that is my kitten noir Salem.  He is always lying right next to my machine these days when I'm sewing. Not awkward at all. 



I am quite chuffed with my new ironing board cover.  The fit is a litte snug, but overall I think it will do the job for some time to come.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment