Friday 20 April 2018

Enter the Dragon

I haven't kept many of my old patterns, but for some reason I did keep this Vogue pattern from 1994.  I can't remember the dress I made with the pattern. I have a feeling it was something with long sleeves.  
 

 I was trying to find a pattern to use for my dragon print material.  It is always hard sewing with material that has a design that runs in a particular direction.  This means that you can't go turning pattern pieces upside down on the fabric. I learned this hard way previously.  The fabric is a cotton that looks like a linen. It's wrinkle factor isn't too bad either. 


This pattern is nice and simple to make up. However, I had to make adjustments for the underarms as they were very snug and slightly uncomfortable. It involved some upicking and cutting away near the under seam to give me some more room.  I guess that's the difference when my 20 something figure had a little less going on in the underarm department than my 40 something figure does.  I also probably could have forgone the zip at the back. There would still have been plenty of room to get over my head without a zip. This pattern would be particularly good for a feature style fabric as the design is a good basic shift style dress.    
 


I certainly didn't mean to make this dress as short as it turned out.  I'd definitely add a few more inches next time.  That's another disturbing thing about getting older, your knees start looking weird.  Not that knees are anyone's best feature.    


Overall I love this dress. I wore it to a friend's house for dinner and it was hit, as was the tiramissu that I made.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment