Saturday 30 June 2018

Vintage McCalls 3884

I always like to make a new frock for any birthday outings.  This year my celebrations included a trip to the theatre to see the London production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night followed by a nice dinner out with friends. Firstly, the play was just amazing.  I loved the book so was optimistic the play would be just as good, and it was.  Secondly, on the dressmaking front, I wanted to make another verious of this pattern I made several years ago now https://pjfrocknstuff.blogspot.com/2014/09/mccalls-3884.html.  I bought this rayon from Spotlight last year.  I loved the colours. Their rayon selection can be a bit pedestrian most of the time, but this fabric was definitely more interesting.  I actually only saw it on line. 


This is a very simple dress to make. The pattern does call fo a zip at the back, but I learned from the previous version you don't need one as there is plenty of room around the neck line so it goes straight over the old noggin. 


I do love a fabric with a stripe feature, so I used the pattern going in opposite directions to yoke for a bit of a contrast.  It's not as obvious with the pattern fabric.  The fabric is a bit like those pictures people used to have where if you stared at it long enough you'd see some hidden image.  



I love all the colours in the fabric, which means I can pair the dress with different colour tights. I have so may coloured tights in my collection. People are always asking where I get them from because you no longer seem to be able to buy coloured tights at stores.  Ebay from my friends.  Plenty of choices and they mostly reasonably priced.  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment