Sunday 12 October 2014

Vintage shift

Another little shift dress from a bulk pattern ebay win last year.  I already had the fabrics in my collection-o-plenty of fabric.  The material was originally destined for a remake of a previous, super successful pattern which will appear in these pages sometime in the near future.  I even bought the buttons on a whim previously and voila they turned out to be perfect addition for this creation.  I've had the sleeveless version for about 18 months now.  This is also one of those designs which I find a little difficult trying to get the peak nice and sharp in the front.  As I mentioned in my here kitty kitty frock of previous post I'm a bit stumped getting a nice clean corner/peak when joining up the sections of the dress.  It is a bit wonky in the end but not really noticeable. 





Here I've taken advantage of an embroidery stitch to five the
top section an interesting finish.

My photographic assistant enjoying the garden
at my folks' house.

This sleeve version which I altered for a shorter sleeve is a work dress that I'm only reasonably happy with. I had a lot of trouble with the front peak section of this one and thought I could hide the errors with a bit of an embroidery stich. This did not come out looking too ticketyboo so now I hide it with on of the  necklace that I've made. After only a couple of wears though a couple of pulled threads appeared in the fabric.  I've used this cotton/synthetic fabric before in another dress and for some reason the slightly open weave seems prone to pulls even though I can't recall how these occurred.  So now I've got more issues to hide.  It does look awesome with black and white tights but bit disappointing about the flaws.






No comments:

Post a Comment