Sunday 14 June 2015

Scout Tees

I made my first Scout Tee a few years ago.  This is a super easy top to whip up in a few hours.  My only issue with these type of nice loose fitting t-shirt tops is that I don't have a decent pair of jeans to wear with them.  I have a few pairs of jeans that fit well enough, but there is always too much stretch and once you move in them the waist drops down a smidge and then you've got that whole weirdness around the crotch area. I know I could wear a belt to hold them up, but then I don't really like things restricting me around the stomach.  Hence I don't wear my jeans as much I would like as I only really feel comfortable wearing them with longer tops. The original Scout Tee has had only a few outings.  Again, might just need to whip up a decent straight denim skirt to wear with them.

This first version was made from craft fabric and I embellished it with a nice blue heart shape button which was in my button collection.  I think also, this was the first time I actually made my own bias binding. What a great discovery that was. I did recently buy a bias making kit, but the size of the tape maker is too thin. I bought it online and didn't pay any attention to the different widths you can buy. Though I don't mind just making it up by hand either. 


Not a great photo but PJ looks pretty darned cute
My second version was made very recently. Again just a breeze to whip up. I bought the 100% cotton stripe in a Lincraft sale.  Though for some reason the neckline seems to dip forward instead of sitting flat. It's not too noticeable given the stripe pattern. I wasn't sure about putting the buttons on incase it caused the top to dip forward even more, but since they are small and lightweight it didn't make a different. I really love the buttons.  



Given the way the shirts sit, the choice of 100% cotton isn't exactly ideal. I shall have to try one in a lighter fabric so it gives it a better drape. I just love 100% cotton though being as it's so cool to wear.

I bought some black denim to make a skirt to go with this top. I decided to finally sew the Colettte Ginger skirt pattern.  Quite an easy pattern to make. I went with the plain waistband, but it doesn't sit flat. Very disappointed with the finished product. It is still sitting in my spare room waiting to be hemmed. I just lost interest when I realized it was fail.  Nothing like being a seasoned sewer and failing with a pattern for a beginners. Maybe I'll unpick the waistband and give it another go.   







No comments:

Post a Comment