Tuesday 2 September 2014

Vintage Butterick

This is one of my early vintage patterns.  Another from a bulk lot I won on ebay.  The mostly size 16 patterns adjusted down a few sizes.  This dress came together so easily. The most interesting thing I learnt while whipping up this little number was that the pattern actually had you insert the zip before attaching the front section to the back.  What a revelation and how much easier to do when you just heave to deal with 2 flat pieces rather than running up a long zip on a full constructed garment.  This only works obviously where you have the 2 back sections rather than a gathered skirt attaching to a bodice.  I use this technique where I can now because it is so much easier.  I had intended for this fabric to originally be a maxi skirt and I was going to make a cobalt blue top to go with it. Fortunately it was the right amount of fabric for this delightful shift dress.  It is surprising that it takes more than 2 metres of fabric to make most vintage shift dresses. 

Butterick 5086
I hope to make the middle version at some point too.  Just need to find the right fabric.


 











No comments:

Post a Comment